Monday, June 22, 2009

Hard Decision

Hard Decision.


Today I was making a negotiation for selling a software code
I have developed over the past 3-4 years (with programmers).

The talk was going on between the buyer and me for the last
1-month and I finally settled on getting 9-lacs for the
code and hand it over to them. When we finally met 3-days
back the buyer just put a googly around saying the payment
will be made as 30-30-30-10% over a period of 300-days.


I was taken aback...could not say anything at the meeting.
This may be the part of negotiating teams effort ...i never
know. One fellow hook you down on the amount payable and
then suddenly one fellow comes and drops the bomb on
payment schedule saying "it is company policy" and all
that crap.

Probably it is a regular practice in sales team's to do the job like
this. But i was unaware because i was never involved in
money transaction.

Earlier i had bitter experience with
a U.S. customer (Indian settled in U.S.). He never paid
me in time... finally i beat him up and got 10% extra
paid...but all together the payment schedule made the
whole development and my company going for a spin.


This time i did not want to give that a chance. I have
just sent him a mail saying what ever he is talking is
non-sense. Because i am giving him the code at one-shot
and why should he pay me in installment? Will he accept
me delivering the code also in installment?

Though this is an important amount of money (the money
i am thinking of paying back the investors). I can't
afford to loose it... but sometimes nothing is
better than non-sense...for the 9-lacs (he is proposing
7-lacs) you end-up spending your time and money
which worth more than that.


So I took the hard decision either my way (transparent) OR no-way.
Let me see how it goes.

No comments:

Post a Comment