Tuesday, June 16, 2009

Evil Business ...continued

As i blogged before i wanted to write about this evil business...and so it is here.


Amway -a personal experience.


It was in 1997 when i first went to U.S. on my pos-doctoral
fellowship. Just 2-days after landing in the land-of-oppurtunities
... me and my boss were going around a mall for my landing
purchase.

There was this guy looking like me (hard to find many
Indian and Indian looking guys at that time in Philly) came
to and asked "Are you from Bangladesh"...i said no I am
from India and here on a research.

He said "So glad to meet a person from the subcontinent" and gladly
gave me his phone number and introduced me to his wife.
I was totally taken aback...wow what a wonderful world. People
in U.S. from our sub-continent are so freindly and want to
help each other ...

Once i got my phone connection i promptly called him and gave
him my number. He called me once in a week and ask how am i doing
and how is my research going...i was overwhelmed.

Suddenly one-day he said there is a get together on some
business meeting and he wanted me to attend that...i thought
"OK good i will meet more of Indians and there is a chance i
will meet a nice girl"...i said YES.

He picked me up and took me to some hotel i think it was Ramada Inn...
not sure now....had few drinks and was expecting some dancing
and socializing...but these guys started talking about some
serious business...presentations and gyan on what is
business....

There were some special presentations made on how this company
called Amway has revolutionized the way business is done
by personalized marketing... there were presentations on
how to make money and how much money you have put in and
how it will multiply based on how many people you can drag
and how to drag people (like going around the mall with a
note and pen and meet people etc.,etc.,) .

Till the end of 3-hour meeting no-body told what is that
this company Amway is producing. I was wondering what the
heck is that... but did not open my mouth because i donno
how to get back in that odd-hour (11-pm) to
my apartment so kept silent and really could not munch much
on the topic.

some one dropped me back in my apartment and all through the
way this guy was talking about one of the presenter who
made good American accent english and spoke exactly like a
big American orator....he said he wants to be like him...I said
good and was thinking 'oh this company is about talking and
more talking and more talking'

I said thanks to the guy who dropped me back and went back to
my apartment and could not stop drinking another 2-pecks of
Bacardi rum before i sleep.

After a week i got the phone call from my friend and he
asked me how the meeting was ...i said i did not like it
and i could not get what we are selling... he went on
to make sure i have to attend few more meetings to understand
fully... i said i am not that inclined... but he kept on
insisting me to attend by saying 'after all it is free and
food'...i said 'cool'...now i have
learnt some slang in American way...he said he wanted to
meet me...i said ...'my pleasure'...and asked him to come
to my apartment... i wanted to get prepared....took 3-rounds
of bacardi because it is very hard for me to be harsh in
person...i always believe everyone has every right to do what
he does and what he thinks is right for him... but this one
looked like a evil business to me and wanted to stop him by
giving hard words and stop him from coming to me.
I gave him left and right on what this shit about... he
never came back....

After that during my 2-year stay in Philly...i met couple of
more amway guys....i can smell the way they approach and would
stop them before giving my phone number.

Let me put how this Amway works...it is about you become a part
of the company by buying 200$ worth of things and promise to
make purchases for next few years on monthly or quarterly basis.
What you get is a 1$ worth of thing at 10$....then how do you
make money....you bring in your friends and strangers to do the
same...because they are going to buy 1$ worth for 10$ you get
2$ commission...like that if your bring 20-people then you make
money ...if those 20-people could bring in another 20-each...then
you become the boss of 400 people who will spend 10$ for 1$ and your
income keeps pumping in....What an idea sirji.
This is called evil....even though there is no forcing and all are
volunterly done....it is a kind of trap...and it is evil. It
is cheating...but under the cover of business by selling a $ worth
component at 10$...but the buyer does it voluntarily so legally and
business ethically it is not wrong.

But it is evil...because it does not add any value to the buyer. A business which
does not add any value to the buyer is Evil in some sense.

No comments:

Post a Comment